Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Kinilaw

I think most of my friends know that my favorite food is KINILAW. I love this dish ever since I tasted it. The raw fish soaked in pure “suka” (vinegar) mixed with spices really suits my taste. I have been eating this since I was in elementary school and up until now. 

Kinilaw na Tangigue (Spanish Mackerel)

Traditionally, if you eat kinilaw, you drink cola after eating it. This done to prevent you from having an upset stomach but because I am already immune to this raw fish, I can drink water after eating it. But sometimes, I still prefer drinking cola since it really seals in the flavors and thus making you eat more.

Kinilaw na Tamban (Sardinella)

To know how to make this dish, check out the ingredients and procedure below courtesy of Jacky Abitago.

Ingredients:
- 1 kilo tuna
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium cucumber
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium ginger
- 5 pieces lemon
- 2 pieces hot chili
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tabon-tabon (for Kagay-anons like me, we add this one).

Procedure:
1. First, you have to clean the fish and cut it into cubes
2. Put it into the bowl
3. Pour the vinegar
4. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze it.
5 Put the sliced onion, sliced tomatoes, ginger, cucumber and salt to taste in the bowl together with the fish
6 Leave it out for one hour in the refrigerator before you serve

How about you guys? Do you eat kinilaw? Can you share to us your favorite food?

5 comments:

  1. Omg! My fave kinilaw ;) oh how I missed yah :-) You are too far for me to taste :-( I am drooling like crazy ;)

    http://www.sportyjess.com/boys-watching-wgc-cadillac-golf-championship-cheering-tiger-woods/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new blog! :)

    I love kinilaw. Sabaw lang. haahaha bitaw mommy, I go slow on vinegar and the fish nga half cooked or not cooked at all kay ang tiyang ba lamang. biklonon kaayo ko ug tiyan. so sabaw and lamas ra akong ma enjoy ana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kinilaw but tuna or malasugue only.. di ko anang tamban ug bolinao (my papa's favorite) kay matinik sa lalamunan.. nyahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pwerteng mingawa na gyud nako ani oi... Andami unya ko ha kung maanha ko dha sa inyong dapit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of kinilaw but whenever I see one, I always eat it. LOL! Do you have a recipe that has tabon2x in it? I wanna learn how to prepare it for future use. :D

    ReplyDelete